My sick-bed entertainment was nineteen episodes, of "Christy", a TV series from the 90's based on the book by Catharine Marshall. It is one of those pioneer dress classics that I like so much.I can't recommend it though because I watched 907 minutes with the idea that Christy would eventually marry that hunky preacher. What a disappointing end to have Christy standing in the field still trying to decide who she wanted, then..... the series was canceled. ugh.
But, I did tap down a note that I thought profound. The quote was said by the preacher's sister who was a strong, but quiet old-maid. She was speaking to a teenager girl who was wishing that she was as pretty and popular as the school teacher, Christy, was.
"I wish I was little, and pretty, and smelled good like a flower..."
And the response:
"We are led to believe that a woman should look a certain way. A woman can be pretty like a mountain, or a tree, or a river. She doesn't have to be a flower. And there are other important things in life like virtue, righteousness and service."
So, that is the gem from "Christy"-- beauty doesn't have to be dainty. It can be big and strong like mountains and rivers. I love that.