When the kids and I arrived at the Arend Arts Center to watch "The Watsons Go to Birmingham", Greg was speaking an acquaintance, Mr Bechtold. He was the former CMO of Proctor and Gamble and now is with Porch Light Productions making family friendly movies. As we talked about the film we were about to see, he spoke specifically about Tonya Lewis Lee, wife of Spike Lee, who directed this movie. Mr Bechtold said that projects like this one, with purpose and principle became Tonya's life mission as soon as she had a child. Mr Bechtold said that he'd seen the same thing play out over and over again-- when a woman becomes a mother, her world-construct changes to values and education and the serious. She views life and her purpose differently. He said, "I think it is a God thing".
I think so, too.
There is something about the decision to have a baby that changes everything. A mom has a destination for all of her innate desires to nurture and love. She wants to protect him. She wants to shape and develop him. Her efforts become focused on his little life and his potential in her care. A little baby makes a woman take her needs and place them in the backseat for the rest of her life.
Monday, I visited our Crystal Bridges Art Museum and the traveling exhibit, "Angels and Tomboys". This was a collection of 19th Century paintings and it explored perceptions and roles of girls growing up in America. Midway through the exhibit there was an explanation of 19th century mothers that summarized how women shaped American society after the Civil War. I was struck by a quote by Harriet Beecher Stowe that the curator had in vinyl:
"Women are the real architects of society."
Now, I don't believe that it is a contest between men and women, both influence attitudes and actions in our communities and country. But, I do believe that a mother's child can paint the future and design the destiny of our society. For good, or for ill. It seems important that women invest their best efforts in mothering.
And according to Mr Bechtold, we just need to listen to and follow that "God thing" that we are endowed with. I think Sister Julie Beck would call it, "a mother heart".
