I'm hearing in the news and reading on social media this morning that there are ripples flowing. Discontents are throwing stones into the Church's lake. Ordain Women wants to go to Priesthood Session and say it's discrimination not to be able to. Their end game is for Church doctrine to change so that women can be ordained to the priesthood. The Church is asking them to reconsider the protest. Here is the Church's public response:
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-asks-activist-group-to-reconsider-general-conference-protest-plans?fb_action_ids=10152287517758188&fb_action_types=og.likes
This is nothing new, I guess, but it kind of bothers me today. I know that I only have a little voice, but still want to say out loud that I am a satisfied and grateful Mormon woman.
Firstly (in an admission that I don't understand the background of these gals and also wanting to be kind), it reminds me that people truly think differently. From one who's mind cranks tirelessly, I know that there are plenty of ideas in this world to process. But, what bugs you, doesn't bug your friend. Where you feel passionate, others feel neutral. Because our journey through life is our very own Divinely-crafted adventure, we can't expect to understand exactly where another is coming from.
I'm thinking that we need to be patient with each other, which, I believe, is exactly what the Church's statement did. We are all a work in process. But, with this caveat-- Be careful. Patience does not require that we snuggle with another's ideas.
Secondly (and preaching to the squawkers a little), we are all stewards of our thoughts. While we may not, personally, put them all up there, we can decide how to face ideas and opinions that creep into our minds or across our computer screens. Because we have been gifted with such a brilliant collection of grey matter, we can figure out what to do with them once they are there. Will we embrace and explore? Will we dismiss? Will we place them on a virtual shelf in a closed box for a later time? Will we open it up, roll it over and over again? And will we do this in private or will be incite others to think about them with us?
I'm thinking that we need to be choosy. We must be very careful about what we share and what we fight for. Especially things that cause polarity, loss of faith, rebellion, despair, and blood pressure changes. We just can't mess with other people's faith.
Thirdly, I want to say for the record that I am an immovable Mormon Mrs. Cleaver. The only way she could have been more perfect to me was if she was teaching a Primary class. I don't think that you could convert me to an any more liberal idea of what womanhood is. You couldn't convince me that June was living below her potential or being cheated by donning a ruffled apron and caring for a home, a husband, a family, and a community. I think that she was adorable, and smart, and measured, and happy, and needed, and fulfilled. And so am I, fulfilled that is. I have a role in this world. I have a mission. I want to be a mother. I want to be a wife. I want to serve the community. I want to belong to the nurturing, compassionate Relief Society.
And while this is not the portrait of every Latter-day Saint woman, there are endless ways for every single one of us to grow, develop, use our talents, and make an abundant difference. The truth is that whatever good I do, or have done, ALL rolls out of what this Church has taught me, the experiences that it has given me, and what is expected of me as a Latter-day Saint woman.
I don't want a man's mission. I believe in roles. I believe that we can have different stewardships. And I don't believe that having them diminishes us in any way. On the contrary, it makes a more powerful outfit. Men and women together in their uniqueness make 100%. I want to be part of the Kingdom's team. I want to stand with the prophets and apostles.
There.
I must try to remember, even though it doesn't feel like it exactly: "What does it matter if a few barking dogs snap at the heels.... The caravan moves on." ("The Caravan Moves On", Bruce R McConkie, Oct 1984)