I have been thinking up a pithy slogan to screen print on t-shirts-- "Trouble? We all got it." Just kidding. I am not pasting it anywhere, but more and more I am learning that it's true. I don't know why that is a revelation to me. I mean, we know that the purpose of this life to "prove" us (Abraham 3:25), and refine us (1 Nephi 20:10 ), and prepare us (Alma 5:28). That goal would be difficult to accomplish if we weren't regularly bumping up against our weaknesses or being required to stretch beyond tranquility.
I liked reading, "Leaving Adversity Behind", from the December 2012 Ensign. I have always been a big fan of the words of Paul of Tarsus and two sets of scriptures that the author, Elder David Baxter, used really stood out to me.
First, 2 Corinthians 4:8-9: "We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;"
How is this possible? Troubled, perplexed, persecuted and cast down, but not distressed, in despair, forsaken or destroyed. Wow. What a guy. It occurs to me that the answer to that question would make a life-long of mountain climbing a more do-able activity. If you could experience all of the stretch that mortality requires without the despair, that would be terrific! Now, I must say that I don't think that is exactly, completely the plan. I mean, we gotta feel it, don't we? Otherwise we'd just skate. We've gotta work it through and that requires some recognition of the discomfort and pain. But, it seems like Paul and others are talking about an undercurrent of peace and hope that has sustaining power. I picture tumult of all kinds happening on the surface, but a peaceful river of clear water flowing underneath the stormy crust of life's experiences.
I think, Elder Baxter kinda said this, too: "No matter what, we can find strength and encouragement." He didn't talk about crust and rivers, but he thinks that "horrible hurricanes and tempests of turmoil" can come to a person and that they can decide to be happy anyway. Revolutionary! He taught that "While adversity may be slow to leave us, we can choose to leave it anytime."
Ok, now. Because he said it, and because my heart burned when I read it, I knew it was true, but the "how" was not immediately clear to me. And maybe, probably, I am still working that out. But, I know that the answer is Christ. For heavens sake, He is all-powerful, all-knowing, perfectly loving, completely engaged, and present in my life. That knowledge should equip me with all sorts of courage to press forward, the ability to drop to my knees when weak, un-doubting trust in eternal covenants, and a knowledge that I am not working alone. That, my friends, is what I think is called "HOPE in Christ". Because I know who He is, I can press forward (faith) with a measure of confidence (hope) that He is working things behind the scenes (charity) that are veiled from me. THAT is the undercurrent that I am talking about.
Elder Baxter admits that he has, and we will have, some Joseph-Smith-where-is-the-pavilion-that-covereth-thy-hiding-place? moments. (D&C 121:1) No, he didn't really say it that way, that was me, but he did said, "Heavenly help may not be obvious. We may not immediately see or know that some other burdens that would have come our way, have been lifted-- diverted from our door." So what is he saying? He's saying that it could be worse! He's saying that even when we can't see God's hand as obviously as we would like to while in the middle of our trial... (and sometimes I would like to see Him like the Brother of Jared did).... we can still feel SURE that He is working the situation for us with intensity and love.
Honestly, that brings me peace right there. He's right. It could be worse. It could be ten trillion times worse and God may very well have kept it in check. I mean, at the most manageable level that still will allow and accomplish our optimal growth and development. I like that! Seriously, I like knowing that.
Elder Baxter ends with Paul again in Philippians 4:11-13: "...I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
So there you go. The reality is that we are being divinely schooled, so in this life we will definitely know how to be abased, hungry and suffer. But, Paul says that at the very same time, in some schizophrenic Atonement miracle, we can "abound" and feel full. It doesn't matter what is swirling around us, contentment is possible. I think that Paul's "content" is my figurative river of hope and peace that runs under the storm.
Now I know on paper and in post that this is true-- peace and adversity can co-exist. Now, to go forth and apply.
Image credit: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/photo_7508926_a-large-tornado-working-its-way-across-fields.html'>solarseven / 123RF Stock Photo</a>
