Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Courts of Love

My newsfeed on Facebook is all lit up by news of a North Logan man's excommunication from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. News like this gives me a heavy feeling in my chest. Even though I don't know the guy, I miss him.  I feel an "empty chair".
ugh.

One of the discussions that I remember from my youth, was a lesson on Church Discipline where I was taught that the process was a "Court of Love".  That phrase has stuck with me for all these years and, especially on a morning like this one, I believe it is the absolute truth.

Let me explain.

I was teaching the kids in Senior Primary last Sunday and we took a few minutes to understand the words that they sang out so powerfully, "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I know who I am.  I know God's Plan.  I'll follow Him in Faith."

I drew a picture for them on the board that looked like this:

To become a member of this Church, one must present himself to a Bishop, who is a Judge in Israel.  You declare testimony, you witness to your worthiness and you state your intention to walk in obedience to God for the rest of your life. The Bishop judges your worthiness and sincerity and signs his name next to yours on a recommend witnessing that he believes that you intend to keep your promise.  Then you are able to be baptized, which is an outward sign of your inward commitment.   This same process is repeated when making all of the covenants of the Gospel.

At this point, one is now responsible for submitting and following and keeping the promise that was made.  One is also responsible to halt or turn or backtrack, and ask for forgiveness when he falls short.  It is a true gift from Christ to be able to repent, become clean through the Atonement, and then continue on the covenant path.

So back to that phrase, why is the cancellation of that covenant through Church Discipline called a "Court of Love"?

A person who has violated their covenants through serious sin or apostasy meets with a Judge in Israel and the person is invited to repent.  A Bishop or a Stake President will remind the person of promises made and will help set a path of return.  They will meet with you, counsel you, cry with you, rejoice with you.  I'm told that it is usually an unparalleled outpouring of strength, unity, patience, love and compassion as the Atonement of Jesus Christ is applied.

But, over time, if the person is unrepentant, willful, and rebellious, then the next kind and loving thing to do is to release him from the covenants.  The ordinances that the person performed to seal the deal on promises he made with God and in front of witnesses, are cancelled.  It's called "excommunication", which sounds scary, but it has compassion and mercy at it's very core.  No longer is the person responsible for the covenants he made.  It is as if he never made them.

The option for repenting is still there.  The hand of the Lord is still outstretched.  A repentant, humble person can be re-baptized-- making a new covenant.  But until he is ready, it serves him best to be released from his promises and thus, his accountability to God for what he is not willing to keep. 

Now while he is free of obligation, it is also true that he no longer qualifies for priceless blessings.  That blessing-part is why I feel so sick to my stomach this morning.  To me, it sounds awful to be cut off.

But, ultimately, if a person chooses that path, it is best to release him from his covenant.  There's no element of surprise.  It doesn't come out of the blue. The person is not left wondering why. And, the way back is clearly marked.  I hope that that becomes the desire for Mr Dehlin and for ALL those who choose this diversion.  I hope that they get homesick and return.

It is also good to remember that there is no trophy for the Judge.  The process for the priesthood holder presiding is heart-wrenching.  I don't know him either, but I have a prayer in my heart today for President King of that North Logan Stake and all who surround him.

In the hub bub of news and the spirited debate on social media, I feel the desire to state that Church discipline equals love.